Academia Sinica Regulations on Short-term Research Collaboration Grants for Foreign Scholars (Pilot Program)
Promulgated on May 16, 2017 at the 971th Executive Meeting
Amended on August 22, 2017 at the 976th Executive Meeting
Article 1: Objective
Academia Sinica (AS) aims to expand research efforts and promote cooperation with foreign academies and other research institutions by encouraging its research institutes and centers to invite foreign scholars to visit the Academy to conduct short-term collaborative research projects. To implement this grant program, the following regulations have been delineated.
Article 2: Eligibility
1. Full-time AS Researchers (including Assistant, Associate, Full, and Distinguished Research Fellows) are eligible to submit proposals
2. Collaboration projects must receive the consent and approval of the applicant’s affiliated institute.
3. Countries and regions in which cooperation efforts are encouraged will be announced annually
Article 3: Application and Selection Procedure
1. To apply, the applicant must submit the following documents to his/her affiliated institute or center: a. collaboration proposal b. personal information of the invited foreign scholar c. letter of recommendation for the invited scholar’s affiliated institution
2. After reviewing received applications, institutes or centers are to submit selected applications to the Department of International Affairs with a letter of recommendation for each respective application.
3. Applications are accepted twice a year. Deadlines for submission are April 30 and October 31. The Department of International Affairs will collect and forward submitted applications to the Central Academic Advisory Committee for review. Proposals are selected based on the necessity, urgency, and irreplaceability of the project. Selection results along with application documents will be forwarded to the President for approval.
Article 4: Project Duration
Research grants are offered for a maximum of two (2) months.
Article 5: Compensation
1. For approved projects, the foreign scholar will receive the roundtrip economy class airfare to and from Taiwan.
2. The Academy will provide a daily allowance of NT$1000/day for the duration of the visiting scholar’s stay (calculated based on the number of days including weekends). The host institute may also offer additional subsidies. The total daily allowance shall not exceed the amount delineated by applicable regulations promulgated by the ROC government. If the affiliated institute of either the host researcher or the visiting scholar provides additional funding, the visiting period can be extended.
Article 6: Results & Reports
Prior to the conclusion of visit, the host institute or center may organize a lecture delivered by the visiting scholar. The visiting scholar must submit a final report on outcomes of the project within two months after the end of the visit. Final reports shall be submitted first to the host institute or center for review and then forwarded to the Department of International Affairs for approval.
Article 7: Important Notes and Details
1. For proposals that are not approved by the applicant’s affiliated institute or center but are approved by the Central Academic Advisory Committee, decisions cannot be altered.
2. Visiting scholars can only receive one research grant.
3. If the research results involve intellectual property rights, they shall be governed by Academia Sinica’s Regulations for Ownership and Utilization of Scientific and Technological Research and Development Achievements.