Academia Sinica Regulations for Short-term Research Collaboration Fellowships Abroad (Pilot Program)
Promulgated on April 18, 2017 at the 969th Executive Meeting
Article 1: Objective
Academia Sinica (AS) aims to expand research efforts and promote cooperation with foreign academies and other research institutions by encouraging promising scholars within the Academy to initiate short-term collaborative research projects with institutions abroad. To implement this fellowship program, the following regulations have been delineated.
Article 2: Eligibility
Full-time AS research assistants, doctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, and Assistant Research Fellows are eligible to apply.
Article 3: Application and Selection Procedure
1. To apply, the eligible applicant must submit the following documents to his/her affiliated institute or center: a. collaboration proposal b. personal information sheet c. letter of recommendation (from either a research advisor or Principal Investigator) d. letter from host institution (indicating consent and approval of the research project)
2. After reviewing received applications, institutes or centers are to submit selected applications to the Department of International Affairs with a letter of recommendation for each respective application.
3. Once every two months, the Department of International Affairs will collect and forward submitted applications to the Central Academic Advisory Committee for review. Proposals are selected based on the necessity, urgency, and irreplaceability of the collaboration project. Selection results along with application documents will be forwarded to the President for approval.
Article 4: Project Duration
Fellowship grants are offered for a maximum of six (6) months. In the event that the date of departure is delayed or the recipient receives other grants to extend his/her stay abroad, a one-time extension can be applied for.
Article 5: Compensation
1. While conducting the collaboration project abroad, the recipient will continue in his/her current position and receive full-time salary.
2. Round-trip airfare to and from the research institution and living expense subsidies will be provided according to the "Amount and Item Table for the Aids of Study, Research or Practice Overseas Delegated by Central Government Agency and Enterprise.” A maximum of fifty percent (50%) of the grant will come from the Academy's central budget; the remaining is to be subsidized by the recipient's affiliated institute or center or the collaborating foreign research institution.
Article 6: Results & Reports
After completing the short-term research collaboration, the recipient must submit a final report on the outcomes of the project. Final reports shall be submitted first to the recipient's affiliated institute or center for review and then forwarded to the Department of International Affairs for approval.
Article 7: Important Notes and Details
1. Alterations to proposals are not allowed with the exception of approval by both the applicant's affiliated institute or center and the Central Academic Advisory Committee.
2. Upon completing the collaboration project, the recipient shall return to his/her position in the Academy. A one-time extension can be provided; extensions must be approved by the Academy.
3. Recipients can only receive one fellowship grant during a calendar year.
Article 8: Other Areas
Areas not covered by this regulation shall be handled in accordance to other relevant and applicable rules and regulations.